Cleo Carney is a high school student in Ottawa, Canada, and part of the Bluedot team. In addition to being an adventurous baker who loves to find the healthiest possible way to make yummy cakes, cookies and breads (healthy for you and the planet), Cleo’s a key part of our soon-to-be-launched “Bluedot Institute” (BDI). The BDI is bringing together middle and high school students from all over North America to share their progress on and toolkits for tackling local environmental projects; they’re also learning how to be cub reporters and will be posting stories and “climate conversations” on their efforts to Bluedotliving.com.
You can see Cleo at work interviewing Ollie Becker, a filmmaker on Martha’s Vineyard, about the perils and opportunities facing the island’s many coastal “great ponds.”
But for now, back to the chocolate chip cookies, which feature the healthiest possible ingredients to make the gooiest cookies ever. You can see more of Cleo’s creations at cleoscleancakes.com, but this is a Bluedot exclusive.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: 7 cookies
½ tbsp ground flax or ½ tbsp ground chia seeds
1 tbsp water
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp baking soda
⅓ cup unrefined organic sugar or coconut sugar
½ cup oat flour (ground oats)
½ cup almond flour
3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk or any other non-dairy milk
Pinch of salt
¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF or 180ºC.
- In a small bowl, add flax seeds and water. Stir until well combined and let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl combine coconut oil, vanilla extract, baking soda, and sugar. Mix until a fine paste is formed. Add oat flour and almond flour, mixing intermittently to prevent clumps.
- To the large mixing bowl, add “flax egg” (thickened flax seed mixture), almond milk, salt. Mix to combine. Stir in chocolate chips.
- If dough appears too wet, mix in additional flour. If dough appears too dry, mix in additional almond milk.
- Scoop dough in heaping tablespoons onto parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Place tray in preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are golden.
- Let cookies cool on the sheet.