RECIPE: Vegan Carrot Zucchini Muffins
By reducing our consumption of animal products and eating more plant-based foods, we can help stop the rapid depletion of the earth’s resources, slow the threat of climate change, and protect our planet for generations to come. Even if we don’t want to go “all in” with veganism, we can still make small but meaningful changes to the way we cook and eat.
It’s a win-win when a recipe is both delicious and vegan, as with these muffins. And kids love them for afternoon snacks or breakfast. Be sure you let the muffins cool before taking them out of the pan, otherwise these tender little cakes will fall apart in your hand. But I kind of love that. Makes 12 muffins.
- 2 cups of all-purpose or spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup vegetable or coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
- 3/4 cup grated zucchini (be sure to squeeze out any excess moisture)
- Chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil the top of a standard muffin pan and fill with a dozen paper cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, nutmeg, white and brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix or whisk together.
- Mash the banana with a fork in another medium bowl. Add the flaxseed, oil, water, vinegar, applesauce, vanilla, carrot, and zucchini to the mashed banana.
- With a wooden spoon or a fork, stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Fill the muffin wells nearly to the top. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the chopped nuts, if using. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with no raw batter. Let cool completely.